Rebecca Wolf

This blog is a chronicle of my daughters' growth - born July 2003 and May 2007. Be sure to check out the Thriving Babies homepage, for videos and instructions on how to use every type of baby carrier. For literacy and homeschooling tips, visit my Rochester-based Learning Center blog at

Thursday, March 23, 2006

The 3 Don'ts of Plastic Use

Just wanted to share some interesting info I just received today about plastics leaching toxic dioxins.


No plastic containers in microwave
No water bottles in freezer
No plastic wrap in microwave

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its
newsletters. This information is being circulated
at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast
cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells
of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles
with water in them as this releases dioxins from the

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program
manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to
explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins
and how bad they are for us. He said that we should
not be heating our food in the microwave using
plastic containers. This especially applies to
foods that contain fat. He said that the
combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases
dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells
of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning
Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food. You
get the same results, only without the dioxin. So
such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups,
etc., should be removed from the container and
heated in something else.

Paper isn't bad, but you don't know what is in
the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass,
Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago
some of the fast food restaurants moved away from
the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is
one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that Saran wrap is just as
dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the
microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat
causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the
plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food
with a paper towel instead.

Here's another webpage that has links to more articles like this one:

The main website sells lightweight stainless steel drinking and eating containers for a very reasonable price:

Knowledge is Power!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

a quick check on the web shows this to be a hoax. Even the John Hopkins centre website says so. Apparently it’s been doing the rounds for over 3 years. (question 88) (questions 98)

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home